The Hydrogeology and Environmental Geology Division carries out studies on groundwater quality, supply and distribution as well as provides measures to remediate groundwater pollution. This Division has concentrated on hydrogeological mapping and the influence of solid waste dump sites on the quality of groundwater in the major cities. So far, Enugu, Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan, Ilesha, Abeokuta, Onitsha, Calabar, Katsina, Aba, Benin and Jos have been investigated. The programme aims at covering the entire country.
The methodology employed is sampling of groundwater from hand-dug wells and boreholes spanning the two major seasons (dry and wet). Elevation maps, soil type maps, permeability maps, inundation maps, soil strength maps, ground water table configuration maps, ground water level fluctuation maps, hydrochemical constituent concentration and trend maps from these projects have been produced. The results are useful in quantifying the contaminants and also determining their origin and proffering some remediation measures.
- The effects of waste dumps on groundwater quality in Aba and its environs, southeast Nigeria.
- The effects of waste dumps on groundwater quality in Abeokuta and its environs, southwest Nigeria.
- The adverse effects of waste dumps on groundwater quality in Benin City and its environs.
- Hydrogeochemistry of groundwater in Calabar and its environs.
- The study of adverse effects of solid waste dump on groundwater in Enugu and environs.
- Hydrogeology of Ibadan and its environs.
- The effects of waste dumps on groundwater quality in Ilesha and its environs.
- The adverse effects of waste dumps in Jos and its environs.
- Hydrogeological mapping of Kaduna and its environs.
- The effects of waste dumps on groundwater in Kano and its environs.
- Hydrogeochemistry of groundwater in Katsina town and its environs.